Tuesday, September 27, 2011

What happens on Facebook stays on Facebook... for everyone to see.

Once again Facebook has shown blatant disregard for their user's privacy.  In a move to increase their ad revenue, Facebook has made it even easier for others to know each and every thing you do.  This new sidebar ticker feed means that every post you make, every comment you leave, every 'Like' button you press is broadcast to all of your friends in real time.  Do we really need this level of publicity in our lives?  We already have the standard news feed that displays things we are most likely to be interested in.  I don't want to see all the minutia of my friends' lives, and I certainly don't want to have everything I do broadcast to my friends in real time.  This news feed has turned from what was already a pressure washer into a fire hose of information.  We must always be careful how much we are willing to post and share with the Facebook community, especially as it becomes more and more visible to those around us.


Current event for September 27th, 2011:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44677285/ns/technology_and_science-security/

2 comments:

  1. The capability is there to decide who sees what of our activities, but the interface for it is complicated in some places and outright hidden in others. I frankly try not to put things online that I don't want others to see, but it's definitely annoying to have all of my activity blasted to everyone I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wouldn't it be great if Facebook could also post a history of each profile stalked by, er, i mean viewed by each user. Then you would know who is viewing your profile.

    ReplyDelete